The Value of Fancy Color Diamonds
- The value of a Natural Fancy Color Diamond is first determined by the color saturation of the stone, and then the carat weight. The value increases with the intensity of the most prominent color within the diamond.
- So, for instance, a 2-carat Fancy Blue diamond may not be as valuable as a 1-carat Fancy Vivid Blue diamond.
- Some colors are far more valuable than others because they are far rarer. According to the GIA, the scale of rarity for Fancy Color Diamonds ascends from yellow to pink to blue to green to red, red being the rarest of the rare.
- But saturation within a color range can sometimes trump these relative color categories. For instance, a Fancy Vivid Yellow Diamond could be more valuable than a Fancy Pink Diamond.
- Only Natural Fancy Color Diamonds rated Fancy Intense, Fancy Vivid and Fancy Deep by the GIA belong to the world-class category of diamonds called The One and Only One.™
“Over the past 10 years Fancy Color Diamonds have jumped ten-fold….What was then $100,000 or $200,000 per carat can now easily be worth $1.7 to $1.8 to $2 million per carat.” -- Rahul Kadakia, Head of Jewelry for Christie’s Americas and Switzerland.